The remarkable medicinal properties and soothing effects of kava have been part of the wisdom of Pacific islanders for centuries. Melanesians, Polynesians and Micronesian people alike grind the fresh or dry roots of this plant to prepare their traditional beverage, which is the centerpiece for solemn rituals as well as the daily social drink for many appreciative Oceanians.
The specific effects of kava depend on the cultivar, plant's potency and method of consumption. But generally speaking, kava is known as a relaxing drink with the potential to promote a sense of sociability, as well as feelings of peace and harmony without diminishing mental awareness or clarity. For many users, kava is a pleasant, refreshing and mentally uplifting drink that relieves fatigue, relaxes the body after hard work or effort, clears the mind and brings a sense of well-being.
Here are the many health benefits associated with kava:
- To alleviate the side-effects of stress
- To prepare the body for a stressful event like public speaking
- To help manage anxiety symptoms
- To uplift mood
- As an alternative to alcohol to wind down at the end of the day or relax
- To support a healthy sleep
- To aid in meditation
- For religious or spiritual ceremonies
- To relax the muscles after an injury
- To enhance creative work
- As a social beverage to share with friends or family